Happy 10th Birthday Joomla!
2011’s Best CMS Awardee. Is by far the world’s most popular and widely used CMS Web Development application in the world. Joomla is web development application made easy! It’s database driven (PHP/MySql) & helps you easily build dynamic based websites. Allows easy integration of features such as user login, RSS, forum, ecommerce, blog, etc.
This Joomla tutorial is designed to help you create and design database based driven websites like a pro!
What's a content management system (CMS)?
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don’t have to.
What are some real world examples of what Joomla! can do?
Joomla is used all over the world to power Web sites of all shapes and sizes. For example:
Who uses Joomla?
Here are just a few examples of Web sites that use Joomla:
- MTV Networks Quizilla (Social networking) – http://www.quizilla.com
- IHOP (Restaurant chain) – http://www.ihop.com
- Harvard University (Educational) – http://gsas.harvard.edu
- Citibank (Financial institution intranet) – Not publicly accessible
- The Green Maven (Eco-resources) – http://www.greenmaven.com
- Outdoor Photographer (Magazine) – http://www.outdoorphotographer.com
- PlayShakespeare.com (Cultural) – http://www.playshakespeare.com
- Senso Interiors (Furniture design) – http://www.sensointeriors.co.za
More examples of companies using Joomla can be found in the Joomla Community Site Showcase.
I need to build a site for a client. How will Joomla! help me?
Joomla is designed to be easy to install and set up even if you’re not an advanced user. Many Web hosting services offer a single-click install, getting your new site up and running in just a few minutes.
Since Joomla is so easy to use, as a Web designer or developer, you can quickly build sites for your clients. Then, with a minimal amount of instruction, you can empower your clients to easily manage their own sites themselves.
If your clients need specialized functionality, Joomla is highly extensible and thousands of extensions (most for free under the GPL license) are available in the Joomla Extensions Directory.
CMS Critic People’s Choice Awards (Winner) – Best Free CMS
CMS Critic People’s Choice Awards (Winner) – Best Open Source PHP CMS
Infoworld Bossie Awards (Winner) – Best Open Source Application
Best PHP Open Source Content Management System (Winner) – Packt Open Source Awards
Best PHP Open Source Content Management System (Winner) – Packt Publishing
Best Linux / Open Source Project (Winner) – UK Linux and Open Source Awards
- Basic computer skills in Mac or PC.
- Knowledge in any graphic design application and web development platform is an advantage although not required
- Certificate of Course Completion
- References Materials (PDF)
- Software Evaluation Copy
- Other Add-ons
- Website 101
- Introduction to Joomla
- Web Design Vs. Web Development
- Installing MySQL and Joomla
- Touring the Joomla Control Panel
- Configuring Joomla
- All about Content
- Designing and Formatting Content
- Creating HyperLinks
- Adding Multimedia Content
- Organizing through Articles Categories
- Article Configuration and Settings
- Integrating CSS on Templates
- User Management
- Global Configuration
- Some Search Engine Optimization tweaks
- Site Backup and Maintenance
- Plus hints, tips and best practices!